Thursday, January 19, 2012

The Greatest Job Ever...

When people are young they often fantasize about what they would like to do when they "grow up", for some this is an emotional process, for others a more literal procedure during which they gain both age and wisdom. Regardless of the route, everyone fantasizes about achieving something in their coming years.

I personally wanted to be a cartoonist, then an actor, then a comedian.

Lots of kids want to be superheroes, or firemen, or police officers.

While I never actually wanted to be him, I always thought the Ultimate Warrior was pretty awesome.



As I've grown older however, I can tell you that the greatest job ever would be a being a closer in Major League Baseball. Provided of course that you have the high 90's fastball and appropriate facial hair to compete for such a job.

                                                 Side Note: Why Brian Wilson of the San Fransisco
                                                            Giants doesn't come out to the clip from Castaway of
                                                            Tom Hanks yelling: "Wiiiillllsooooon!!!" and crying...
                                                            is beyond me...

Why a closer? It would be quicker to tell you why not, but I'll entertain my own rhetorical question briefly: First, you work for one inning a game...maybe. Second, you hardly ever work more than two days in a row.Third, if you saved (that is, closed out the last inning as to preserve your teams victory) only a third of the games in a season you would be statistically one of the greatest closers ever. Fourth, you get payed millions of dollars. And fifth, (and most importantly) you get entrance music

It's like being a wrestler without the questionable spandex, face paint, and body slams.

Had I been blessed with the ability to throw a baseball harder than 48 mph (a rough estimate, let's hope I'm guessing low) I would be living that dream.

But alas, life had different plans for me.

Final Thought -
Choose your entrance music carefully. Avoid things like Disturbed, Slipknot, and The Insane Clown Posse. The safest bet? Anything by AC/DC.

4 comments:

  1. Blech. I hate AC/DC.
    I think a good entrance song band would be a more contemporary, less douchey artist... though I can't think of one right now. Too much pressure =/

    -Kacie

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Absolutely unacceptable that you just referred to AC/DC as "douchey"...have you even heard "Shook Me All Night Long"?

      Ridiculous.

      Delete
  2. I agree; being a closer (or a bullpen catcher) would probably be the best job in the world. A good closer hauls in good money and you make a good point about the (lack of a) work load. With that in mind, what do you think of a guy like Dennis Eckersley who wins the MVP in 1992 for relief work? It's the same issue that was brought up with Justin Verlander this year; should a guy that doesn't play (almost) every day on both sides of the baseball be considered for MVP?

    ReplyDelete
  3. Wouldn't it be great if we ALL got entrance music? I guess it would get a little cacaphonous.....

    This is so unrelated, but I love the TV show The Closer (kyra sedgewick), precisely because you always know she'll get the job done.

    ReplyDelete