Thursday, January 12, 2012

Somebody's Always Lying...

Every Major League Baseball Team thanks their fans at the end of every season, regardless of that season's outcome, for being "The Best Fan's In Baseball", essentially thanking each and everyone of them, not so personally for their monetary contribution to ownership over the past 6-7 months.

It's the one thing that I'm certain all 30 teams have in common.

Like an over-arrogant child handing a mug to their Dad on father's day, assuming that against all odds and probability they have found the one father that "out-dad's" the rest of them.

Or like a new set of parents happily claiming their child is the cutest in the whole hospital, or classroom, or world. They can't all be telling the truth.

Some babies are ugly, that's a fact. Newborns often look purple, mauve, or some variation of burnt sienna. I myself was a tinted yellow color. Now I had jaundice, but the fact remains that I more closely resembled an alien life form than a puppy. Puppies in this instance being cute while alien life forms are often described as unfortunate looking or at the very least startling.

 
What does all of this have to do with baseball? Who knows. What did "Rosebud" have to do with Citizen Kane when it was all said and done? The answer to both of those questions is "I'm not sure."
Somebody probably knows, I'm simply not that person.

Here's the point, or at the very least, a point:
If you're going to do me the discourtesy as a franchise of not making the playoffs for a decade you could at least do me the solid of not insulting my intelligence by calling myself as well as thousands (millions?) of other fans, the greatest in the game.

My brother and I went to a game in April last season where the attendance was just shy of 13 thousand, that's about 30 thousand short of what the stadium holds.


Final Thought -
Is it the responsibility of the fan to show up and support in both good times and bad? Or rather the responsibility of the franchise to put a product on the field that causes the fan to take notice?
Fence sitters welcome...and probably accurate.

6 comments:

  1. Hmmm...Interesting blog. I think the layout looks professional,and the colors, fonts and pictures all work well together. As for the content, I am curious to see where you take us. It's interesting that you state that the Mariners are the best team in the world and also insincere and not doing a good job at the same time.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Your blogging style feels really conversational which I enjoyed because baseball is way out of my usual area. There are things you brought up that did resonate off in my corners of the web while staying (basically) on your topic. Anyway, I'm going to take a stab at your question, despite my answer having almost nothing to do with baseball.

    I'm going to go with the responsibility being on the franchise. Fans -- of anything, really -- can be exceedingly loyal for a myriad of reasons to something they've loved or enjoyed but, at a certain point, there comes a question of 'why?' Why am I still supporting this? Why do I still care? And if the franchise doesn't have a good answer to that, well, all the emotional investment in the world isn't going to get a fan back in the stadium.

    ReplyDelete
  3. I like this post because I have zero interest in baseball yet you helped me to understand the idea in the post by putting it into terms I can relate to. I learned to be a better fan from this in general. Instead of bitching about how Community got postponed in favor of Whitney which is the worse show ever, I went online and ordered the first 2 seasons on DVD.

    ReplyDelete
  4. I was a rabid Sonics fan way back when you could get a good seat in the Coliseum for $5. Nothing quite compares to the rush you get when rooting for your home team when they're going all out. And the despair when they're not...I'll look forward to more on fandom.

    I like your design, but find it a little hard to read. The white on black might be too much?

    ReplyDelete
  5. Whitney is a terrible show Kacie...excellent point.

    ReplyDelete
  6. In regards to your question about whether or not it's the responsibility of the fans to fill seats or an owner to put out a good product ... Fans go see good teams, good teams are comprised of good players who get signed with good money which is made via a good fan base. Ultimately, fans will not go see teams who can't play decent ball (look at the attendance figures from last year for the Pirates, Marlins, Orioles and Royals while keeping in mind their W/L record over the past, say, decade). Ultimately, baseball is entertainment, and going to see a game is an experience; owners need to supply their fans with the best atmosphere possible, including attention paid to not only the players on the field, but the stadium as well. It's on the owners to make a good product affordable for the fans.

    ReplyDelete