Monday, January 23, 2012

Judging Books By Their Covers...

Ordinarily I hear you're never supposed to do this.It's frowned upon, taboo, and generally considered a misguided approach to choosing one's literary path.

In the case of Kate Beckinsale however, the approach couldn't be more accurate.


The approach is equally accurate in baseball.

Take a player, any player. Hate them, love them, never heard of them (We're excited the Mariners acquired Jon Jaso this off-season simply because we plan on calling him Jon Jaso Jinglehimer Schmidt...though it should be noted that is not also my name). It makes no difference, all that matters is that they're wearing your teams jersey. In the case of this writer...a Mariners jersey. Examples? Thought you'd never ask. I have plenty.

I supported  Scott Spiezio for an entire baseball season. Loudly cheered for Jeff Weaver for another (Closed my eyes and climbed aboard the Dream Weaver train I had mistakenly hoped). Even dealt with Milton Bradley's anger issues for a season and a half, often defending him in arguments. (Truth be told he actually wasn't that bad in Seattle (anger wise). San Diego, Oakland, Texas, and Chicago may have their own story, but as far as the Emerald City's concerned...I expected worse.)



Why? Because the beauty of baseball, and sports in general is that winning is all that matters. Al Davis and later Snoop Dogg would reiterate that sentiment. As a fan I could care less whether you have a drinking problem on the three off days you have a month, if you're hitting 40 bombs a year, you have my written permission to drink a 40 bomb in the dugout.


Final Thought -
It's pretty crazy that they just told Pluto it couldn't be a planet anymore. But is that crazier than the government determining that pizza is a vegetable? And then depending on which one of those you think is crazier, is that crazier than the fact that the Three Six Mafia has an Oscar?

This is the Three Six Mafia -

1 comment:

  1. "(We're excited the Mariners acquired Jon Jaso this off-season simply because we plan on calling him Jon Jaso Jinglehimer Schmidt...though it should be noted that is not also my name)" <--best line ever.

    I've been out of the Mariner's loop for so long...since the days of Lou Piniella and Olerud. Being a Mariner's fan and a Seahawks fan at the same time was too difficult. I really do miss baseball though. Makes me all nostalgic :)

    -Chelsea

    ReplyDelete