Thursday, January 26, 2012

It's Not Just A Game...

Candyland's just a game...a terrible game, but a game none the less.

No, you know what, Candyland isn't even a game, in fact it's barely even a thing, more of a fleeting thought.
That's for another time though.

I heard at work earlier this week that Billy Cundiff, the kicker for the Baltimore Ravens of NFL lore, was getting death threats. Weather that's true or not is unimportant for our purposes, in fact, to make the topic less taboo let's just say Billy was being threatened with bear hugs. Big ol' bear hugs from big ol' Ravens fans.


Let's assume that this premise is correct. For hypothetical purposes.
After hearing this most people would say that it's ridiculous. "How could anyone care that much about sports?"

I'm not here to justify the moron who threatens to bear hug an NFL kicker.

Let me say that again:

I'm not here to justify the moron who threatens to bear hug an NFL kicker.

But is it that crazy that people care that much about sports? It's practically programmed into fans from the moment they put on their teams jersey. Just look at how much players are paid. Look at how much tickets cost or how much apparel is. Clearly it matters. How could it not drive people crazy when a player makes a mistake?

Third times a charm: (Slightly modified)

Not here to justify morons.

People who say it's just a game are wrong. People can't play Pictionary with family members without wanting to kill each other. Family feuds are born and settled during backyard football. It isn't that strange to consider that people care way too much about professional sports.


If you miss a 32 yard field goal in your backyard...that's just a game. If you miss a 32 yard field goal in the AFC Championship Game, the stakes are a touch higher. That's why Cundiff doesn't have a whole lot on his plate other than kicking and why he probably got a scholarship and received an education on the strength of his right leg - because it is that important.

Bear hug important? Absolutely not.

But it's not just a game...

Final Thought -
Bono's actual name is Paul David Hewson and nobody has ever seen him without his sunglasses on.

2 comments:

  1. Bono IS the biggest piece of crap.
    That is all.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Your thoughts and observations are spot on. Sports are much more than a game; some famous someone or other has even described them as a microcosm for life. Watching (in my case) pro football gives me the opportunity to become part of a team, something that I've never had the opportunity to do, other than that very painful series of softball games in Omaha, where my friends were ultimately and tragically sorry that they ever asked me to play. I can talk to the players on the screen, offer my valuable game insights and know that they really can hear me. I can teach the next generation all about the game, as what toddler doesn't enjoy signally each and every first down??? The heart and soul that unites them pulls me in, making me part of their victories and defeats. Fortunately for all of us, I can feel this camaraderie without ever surviving a practice session, which was once described to me as a place with "way too much negative energy". Wonder who I'm quoting there, Mr Blogger??? I feel sympathy that Mr Cundiff must endure death threats, yet chuckle way deep inside to think a guy who spends that much time kicking a ball could screw it up that badly??? Yes, I'm part of Patriots nation, and we'll have definitive proof that pro sports is way more than a game in little else than eight days, when millions of fans worldwide will join me in pacing and screaming and briefly living inside the huddle with Tommy, Danny, Gronk and the Law Firm. We'll see how that goes......

    ReplyDelete